Sunday, May 13, 2007

a side project - family history

I've always been fascinated by my family history. My mom won't let me talk about some of the drama (such as my great aunt and uncle not speaking to each other but living in the SAME house for 10 years... ah-hem... crazy Irish) but that still makes me want to keep track of it. On a whim, a few days ago, I decided to record part of a phone conversation I had with my little sister. She was talking about how she didn't have a name for four years. You see, people think I'm a nut-job (which I may be) but how do they think I got this way?

Anyway, this impromptu recording has given me an idea. What if I record all sorts of conversations with my family about our history? Of course I can't tell them I'm doing this or they'll hate me forever. What's worse is that I think it would be cool to put these conversations online... why not let the world hear all about it? Is this an insane idea? You betcha! Would my family disown me? Hell yes.

I mentioned to a few people that I'd like to someday write some sort of memoir. Perhaps this is my start?

meghan

p.s - I may very well post my sister's no-name conversation. It's short. I don't know if it's entertaining to anyone besides myself but I guess I'll find out!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds like a great idea, except for the part where they hate you.
I remember a few years ago a woman posting a recording of her mother's insane phone messages she left.. it was hilarious. I think everyone can relate to crazy... a memior is great idea.

have you read "Sing a Song of Tuna Fish"? by esme codel.. memories of her childhood-very funny.
~~Laura

Meghan McCarthy said...

No, I haven't read that. I'll have to check it out!

meghan

Libby Koponen said...

Thanks for posting over the weekend! I didn't because I am really writing away....so I think this memoir is a great idea, I think it would be hilarious; but.....how much to reveal about other people is complicated (I think), and especially since memoirs are only interesting (at least I think they are) if you tell the truth.

I once read a great memoir *warning* trashy title called BEDTIME STORY and she dealt with that by saying at the beginning that she was publishing it under a fake name because it wasn't up to her to blab things out about other people. I think her father was kind of famous.

I am not sure if you would like this book, but I thought that was an interesting point and it FELT really emotionally honest.

Libby Koponen said...

PS By "it" I mean "the book." The book felt emotionally honest.

Anonymous said...

Bring it on, Meghan!

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Anonymous said...

Family is the best source of material. That's where all the crazy comes out.

Who doesn't LOVE that?