Friday, July 20, 2007

A Poem for My Husband

Yesterday, July 19th, was the date of my 38th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, my husband was away on business...as he often is. Fortunately, not being able to celebrate such a special occasion on the exact date doesn't bother either of us. What we do care about is still being able to celebrate our married life together.

My husband is my high school sweetheart. We met when we were sophomores. We've been together now for forty-five years. I was indeed lucky to find my soulmate and best friend...the person who has always been my biggest supporter...the man who never suggested that I consider spending less money on poetry and children's books...an indivual who appreciates and understands my passions in life--when I was just fifteen. He's a terrific husband and the world's greatest dad.

My poem today is for my husband!

To My Dear and Loving Husband
by Anne Bradstreet

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee;
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me ye women if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold,
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay;
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persever,
That when we live no more we may live ever
.


At Wild Rose Reader, I have reviews of two books: Kurt Cyrus's Oddhopper Opera: A Bug's Garden of Verses and Jennifer Ward's Over in the Garden, a counting book in verse.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that poem. I've wished sometimes that real life felt like that, but it usually doesn't.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Kelly,

I guess I have been a most fortunate woman. I can't imagine what my life would have been like and how different I might be today if I hadn't married my husband. I thank my lucky stars!

John Mutford said...

There's an mp3 of Alyssa Milano(!) reading this poem here, as well as other celebrities reciting famous poems. Alyssa's is at least better than David Schwimmer's "Jabberwocky" rendition- though not as horrendously funny.

Elaine Magliaro said...

John,

Thanks for the link. I had never heard of that website before.

Sara said...

I married my high school sweetheart, too. We don't have 45 years together yet, but we're gaining on it! Thanks, for this, Elaine.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Sara,

I wish you and your husband many happy years together. My daughter's name is Sara, too. My husband picked the name.

alvinaling said...

Happy Anniversary, Elaine!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Alvina!