Friday, July 20, 2007

REAL CHILDREN: BEFORE (the after part will come Saturday night)

Adam, who turned 7 on Tuesday, is having his birthday party tomorrow. He told me HIS plans for the party around a week ago, and I thought it would be fun to post the plans now, and then later post how things actually turned out -- with pictures. I'll know because I will be the grown-up helping his parents.

First, there will be a baseball game, with Adam and his father doing the pitching; MAYBE one of the other kids there will be "good enough to pitch," but Adam doesn't think anyone will be. While this is going on, the kids who don't like to play baseball will be on the slidey slide. I'm not sure what this is, but I'll find out.

Next, no one will be allowed to take his action figures home.
"I don't mind if they touch them, but last year they took them home, and I didn't like that."
He frowned at this unpleasant memory.

I asked if there would be any girls.
"No," Adam said, very decidedly. "No girls."

Those were his plans for the party. His mother told me yesterday that the baseball game will last for ONE inning, since not everyone likes to play, and will be followed by: apple bobbing (Adam's idea, like all the substitute activities), dodge ball with a water balloons as a ball, a wheelbarrow race, a sack race, pizza and cake, and, for a finale, a pinyata. The party, at his request, will be at their house.

My next book is a very little mystery involving baseball, and Adam is the hero....so this party will be fascinating for that reason. But even if it weren't for that, I'd be excited: I love children's parties! Perhaps if I had children of my own I wouldn't be so enthusiastic--Adam's mother said none of the 11 other mothers wanted to stay and help:
"And then I thought -- LIBBY!"
I can't wait! I'm posting now because I'm going over first thing in the morning to help get ready (or, more likely, play with Adam while his mother gets ready).

2 comments:

alvinaling said...

Oh, that sounds like so much fun. Wish I could be there! Can't wait to hear all about it...

JenFW said...

Looking forward to hearing the next installment. Research is fun, isn't it?

My parents gave the best parties. I always assumed they enjoyed them as much as I did. Could I have been wrong?