Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Painting in progress continued

Last week I showed the first steps in making a painting for the book I'm working on, What Can You Do with an Old Red Shoe? You can view last week's post here.

I left off establishing the color relationships and patterns:



Next I started layering some texture onto the bunny's fur, laying grey highlights over a black foundation:



This is the finished painting. I tightened up the edges, finished off the textures, and filled in the remaining colors:



Here is the poem that goes with this illustration:

Jack’s blanket was stained,
it was damp,
it was done,
A mere ghost of a blanket,
made pale from the sun.
The fabric had worn,
a soft gauze to the touch.
Jack gave it a squeeze
for he loved it so much.

4 comments:

Erik Brooks said...

Always a real treat to see the works-in-progress Anna. I really enjoy your animal characters, and your layering of color and texture with the gouache is inspiring!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Anna,

I really like your poem. I can't wait to see the book when it's published.

Unknown said...

Fascinated by the progression of the painting and I loved the poem. Nice work.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Just found this post via Miss Rumphius, what a lovely illustration and so interestign to see your process...