Tuesday, March 25, 2008

spinal tap

Don't EVER get a spinal tap!!!! This is a warning. Just don't do it. There's a 20 % chance of something going wrong--the hole not closing and spinal fluid leaking... and OF COURSE that's what had to happen to me. For the past 5 days I have been in COMPLETE agony. If my parents didn't drive down from RI I would have probably had to be admitted to a hospital. Every time I lifted my head I got severe head pain and nausea. If I tried to get up I'd start vomiting. This went on for 5 days!!! The issue was finally resolved by something called a blood patch--the anesthesiologist takes blood from your arm and injects it into the spine to seal the hole. The doctor said there's a chance the problem can come back in a few days so I'm crossing my fingers! So scary!

HOPEFULLY I will be able to get back to work and get going on some new project ideas soon. I also need to update my website!

On the topic of books--I'm trying to brain storm for some craft ideas for my book The Astronaut Handbook. If any of you have any good ideas for projects please let me know! Also let me know about promo ideas... anything that has to do with space and/or astronauts. The book is coming out in 3 months I believe.

meghan

3 comments:

carterbham said...

There's the museum of flight in Seattle and the Johnny Rockets restaurant chain

Libby Koponen said...

Meghan! That's awful!

Promotion idea: see if you can get some of the real astronauts (did you hear the "This American Life" interview with them last weekend)on your side. They give talks all over the place -- including ar schools. If they like the book (and I bet they will), maybe you could GO to one of the talks with a stack of books to sign and sell, get your picture and the book's taken with the astronaut and into the newspaper, or mail handouts about it to the talk site?

If the publisher will pay, maybe make cool PR things like rockets kids can launch with rubber bands? (kind of like those old flying airplanes). Of course these would have the name of the book and an illustration on them.

Or you could have a REAL book launch with those rockets!

I have more ideas but this is long enough. I will help make & distribute the rockets if the publisher won't pay.
--Libby

sruble said...

I'm crossing my fingers that you'll heal quickly now and not have a repeat of the complications!

Stephanie