Friday, May 09, 2008

Poems for Mother's Day


Mother’s Day is this coming Sunday...so I'm posting some special poems for the occasion. Here are the selections I have for you this Poetry Friday.


To My Mother
By Robert Louis Stevenson

You too, my mother, read my rhymes
For love of unforgotten times,
And you may chance to hear once more
The little feet along the floor.



From What I Learned From My Mother
By Julia Kasdorf

I learned from my mother how to love
the living, to have plenty of vases on hand
in case you have to rush to the hospital
with peonies cut from the lawn, black ants
still stuck to the buds. I learned to save jars
large enough to hold fruit salad for a whole
grieving household, to cube home-canned pears
and peaches, to slice through maroon grape skins
and flick out the sexual seeds with a knife point.
I learned to attend viewing even if I didn't know
the deceased, to press the moist hands
of the living, to look in their eyes and offer
sympathy, as though I understood loss even then. I
learned that whatever we say means nothing,
what anyone will remember is that we came.

Read the rest of here.


From MOTHERS
by Nikki Giovanni
(These are the ending lines of Giovanni’s poem.)

she was very deliberately waiting
perhaps for my father to come home
from his night job or maybe for a dream
that had promised to come by
“come here” she said “i’ll teach you
a poem: i see the moon
the moon sees me
god bless the moon
and god bless me”
i taught it to my son
who recited it for her
just to say we must learn
to bear the pleasures
as we have borne the pains

Read the rest of the poem here.

Happy Mother’s Day!


At Wild Rose Reader I have two more poems for Mother’s Day.

Wrter2b has the Poetry Friday Roundup.

No comments: