Friday, August 01, 2008

In the Tunnel of Summers


Some of my favorite adult poems speak of eating food--peaches, a pot roast, steamed fish--and how that particular experience reawakens a memory of past times or elicits thoughts about life and/or family relationships. I just came upon the following poem yesterday. It, too, fits into this category of poetry.

In the Tunnel of Summers
By Anne Stevenson

Moving from day into day,
I don't know how,
eating these plums now
this morning for breakfast,
tasting of childhood's
mouth-pucker tartness,
watching the broad light
seed in the fences,
honey of barley,
gold ocean, grasses,
as the tunnel of summers,
of nothing but summers,
opens again
in my traveling senses.

You can read the rest of the poem here.


Here are links to some of my other favorite “food” poems:

Pot Roast by Mark Strand

Eating Together by Li-Young Lee

From Blossoms by Li-Young Lee



Do you know of poems like these that you would recommend?

********************


At Wild Rose Reader, I have an original poem entitled Deep-Fried Dream.

The Poetry Friday Round-up is at The Well-Read Child.

P. S. Check out my Unlikely Titles post at Wild Rose Reader and suggest a few of your own “unlikely titles" for children’s books.


********************

3 comments:

jama said...

I share your love for food poems! Pot Roast is my favorite. I think it all started with Proust's madeleine . . .

Mary Lee said...

Hey! I've got Anne Stevenson this week, too!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

I guess food is as important in your life as it is in mine. I wish someone would compile an anthology of "food" poems for adults.


Mary Lee,

I was out for a few hours. I'll have to head on over to A Year of Reading to check out your poetry post.