Friday, November 14, 2008

POETRY FRIDAY: Grief Calls Us to the Things of This World



Here’s another poem by Sherman Alexie for this third Friday of Native American Heritage Month.


From Grief Calls Us to the Things of This World
by Sherman Alexie

The morning air is all awash with angels . . .
- Richard Wilbur

The eyes open to a blue telephone
In the bathroom of this five-star hotel.

I wonder whom I should call? A plumber,
Proctologist, urologist, or priest?

Who is most among us and most deserves
The first call? I choose my father because

He's astounded by bathroom telephones.
I dial home. My mother answers. "Hey, Ma,

I say, "Can I talk to Poppa?" She gasps,
And then I remember that my father

Has been dead for nearly a year.


You can read the rest of the poem here.

Visit the official site of Sherman Alexie.


Here’s a link to my I heart Sherman Alexie post at Blue Rose Girls last Friday.


********************


Here’s a link to my Wild Rose Reader post Native American Heritage Month: Book Lists & Resources.

At Wild Rose Reader, I have a review of the poetry anthology The Sun in Me: Poems about the Planet.


Yat-Yee Chong has the Poetry Friday Roundup this week.


4 comments:

jama said...

Thanks, Elaine. I am loving reading more of Alexie's poetry.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

Alexie is one of my "new" favorite poets.

laurasalas said...

I saw him read this poem when he was in St. Paul for the Talking Volumes appearance. It's a great one, isn't it? Full of the mundane and the sacred, all at once.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Laura,

After reading Alexie's book THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN, which I loved, I decided I had to start reading his poetry. I've got to get some of his poetry collections. His poems are mundane and sacred, funny and darkly searing at the same time. What a unique voice he has!