Friday, January 08, 2010

A Country Boy in Winter by Sarah Orne Jewett


I'm in winter mode today at Blue Rose Girls and Wild Rose Reader.

A Country Boy in Winter
By Sarah Orne Jewett

The wind may blow the snow about,
For all I care, says Jack,
And I don’t mind how cold it grows,
For then the ice won’t crack.
Old folks may shiver all day long,
But I shall never freeze;
What cares a jolly boy like me
For winter days like these?

Far down the long snow-covered hills
It is such fun to coast,
So clear the road! the fastest sled
There is in school I boast.
The paint is pretty well worn off,
But then I take the lead;
A dandy sled’s a loiterer,
And I go in for speed.

You can read the rest of the poem here.

********************

At Wild Rose Reader, I've posted a bunch of my original winter poems.

Tricia has the Poetry Friday Roundup at The Miss Rumphius Effect.

2 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Here's another poem that takes an interesting turn towards the end! You can almost see the boy grow up before your very eyes!

Anonymous said...

Even in her poetry, Jewett has that gift of homey detail with its universal pull toward the locale and revealed life of her persona. I discovered her fiction first (COUNTRY OF THE POINTED FIRS and WHITE HERON). No wonder she is acclaimed for local color and the movement toward it in writing. Many times, it can be more enthralling than the story itself (plot).