Friday, January 22, 2010

I Leave Bits of Me Everywhere by Karen Swank-Fitch


I enjoy reading poems about poetry. Here's one I found yesterday when I was looking for a poem to post for this Poetry Friday.

I Leave Bits of Me Everywhere
by Karen Swank-Fitch

poem-words are my clothing, stripped late at night

a trail from the threshold to the foot of bed

along the stairs lay verbs

the actions i need to climb twelve steps at 2 am

a vowel left adjacent to toothbrush

i get sloppy with tartar and allusions

over the cornice of mirror, hangs a strand of pearly metaphors

a simile in my sink

a limerick needing to be laundered

the clothes hamper is full of rimes & meters in want of mending



You can read the rest of the poem here.



********************


At Wild Rose Reader, I have two poems about eating poetry and a look at of some of the children's poetry books that will be publshed in the first half of 2010 that I can't wait to read.

Liz Garton Scanlon, author of that fabulous picture book All the World, is doing the Poetry Friday Roundup this week.



6 comments:

jama said...

I like that one! Especially laundering the limerick :).

Liz in Ink said...

Jama -- that's the EXACT line that jumped out at me!! Love this, Elaine...

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama--

I love it--and the humor in it! It's now one of my favorite poems about poetry.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Liz--

I guess you and I were writing comments at the same time.

Another favorite part:
a vowel left adjacent to toothbrush
i get sloppy with tartar and allusions

Mary Lee said...

Fun, fun!

Karen Swank-Fitch said...

Hello Poetry Lovers. I'm Karen Swank-Fitch, author of "I Leave Bits of Me Everywhere." I'm so pleased that you like the piece & that is "speaks" to you.

Karen