Saturday, April 17, 2010

some cool projects from Orrington Elementary

The librarian sent me some photos from my day at their school (I managed not to take any photos, which I'm annoyed by since I took not one but two cameras! I guess I was just too distracted or something...). Anyway, all the kids drew self portraits of themselves but with BIG eyes, just like I do my characters, and they put them on their lockers. How cute is that? They also made ones for all the teachers! There was also an "alien room" where a bunch of kids drew aliens and their drawings hung from the ceiling. Another fun project was to demystify the puzzling Mona Lisa (based on Steal Back the Mona Lisa!) by drawing new clothes on her.









It's just so cool to see these things. I have to keep reminding myself that these things are based on MY books! I'd love to go back in time and tell my teachers in school that this would happen. They'd never believe it. I don't think I would have either!

2 comments:

Boni Ashburn said...

These are awesome, Meghan! I LOVE the locker pictures. How cool is it to know you have such a recognizable and unique style? And if I'd seen those locker pictures in any other context, I totally would have known they were based on your art without anyone telling me? So cool! :)

Meghan McCarthy said...

You think you'd recognize them? If so, then that's pretty cool! I can't believe the whole school did it. It was really neat. Opening the school door is kind of like unwrapping a big gift at christmas - you never know what's going to be inside!