Monday, September 27, 2010

SCBWI Carolinas

This past weekend I flew down to Charlotte, NC for the SCBWI Carolinas conference. We all promised not to blog or tweet any details, so instead I'll just post a few pictures and say that it was a truly exceptional conference. I personally learned a lot from the wonderful faculty, including Dial Senior Editor Liz Waniewski (who started as our intern in the Boston office 10 or so years ago!), Art Director at S&S Laurent Linn, and author and marketing guru Shelli Johannes-Wells.

The audience during the First Pages session
Liz speaks about Dial
me and faculty member author/illustrator Elizabeth Dulemba

Elizabeth and my delicious (and partially eaten by this point) red velvet cake
Shelli's decadent chocolate dessert (yes, I had a bite...or two...)
The pool!
Shelli sharing marketing and publicity wisdom
Some of the faculty on the last day.
L to R: Authors Steve Watkins, Fran Cannon Slayton, me, Shelli, author Alan Gratz (top), agent Chris Richmond, and Liz

It was really great getting to know everyone at the conference--my only complaint is that I didn't have more time to spend and actually see the city. Oh well, I'll just have to go back again someday.

4 comments:

Niki Schoenfeldt said...

Enjoyed meeting you this weekend & appreciate your comments regarding my m/s Chez Bug. The conference was wonderful, but then being around folks who love books as much as I is always a treat.

-Niki Masse Schoenfeldt

Niki Schoenfeldt said...

Enjoyed meeting you this weekend & appreciate your comments regarding my m/s Chez Bug. The conference was wonderful, but then being around folks who love books as much as I is always a treat.

-Niki Masse Schoenfeldt

Teresa Fannin said...

Alvina,
It was our pleasure to have you in the Carolinas. You were a huge hit. You were accessible, engaging and your presentation on Literary and Commercial fiction was an eye-opener for many of our members. Thanks again. Come back to the Carolinas any time :)
Teresa Fannin
RA SCBWI Carolinas.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

it was fun ;)