Thursday, January 27, 2011

RESEARCH






Libby has been busy doing research and I have as well. I meant to post about this on my own blog but got really distracted and ended up posting funny videos I found on YouTube on Library Raps on the Dewey Decimal system, etc. They're entertaining.

Anyhow, this is something I do when I get into research:

I watch movies I need on the time periods, such as one on Kennedy because he died in the 60s. When I find what I'm looking for I freeze frame and take photo:



In this case I was looking for reporters. I am doing a book on a boy who added stars to the US flag. After they got added reporters flooded his school to interview him. In my nuttiness, I want to see what it looked like in 1960. Thus, the need for films from that time period. Mad Men is also a good way to go. The first season took place in 1960. I'll have to rewatch part of that. Oy. Lots to do!

meghan

4 comments:

Libby Koponen said...

Meghan, I think this is a great idea. And I don't know if that's Jack Ruby or Oswald or neither but (true story): I was a child at the time of JFK's assassination and like everyone else, watched a lot of it on TV.

When they led Oswald out to talk to reporters, I though he should have guards because:
"Someone is going to shoot him."
Almost instantly, someone did. This is really true.

I don't think I told anyone at the time (kids often don't talk about the big things), but it made a big impression on ME.

libby

Meghan McCarthy said...

Hmmm. This is very interesting Libby!

By the way: do you or anyone else know of any films that take place in the late 50s early 60s with reporters in them?

Libby Koponen said...

LA DOLCE VITA (Fellini) came out in 1960 and the main character was a reporter: it's all in Italy though so probably won't help. Still -- you might like it. Gorgeous visuals.

There are is at least one scene in BYE BYE BIRDIE (early 1960s) with reporters: very silly but when I watched it with some kids I babysat for a few years ago we all thought it was hilarious. If you like that kind of silly humor which I admit at times I do.

Also FUNNY FACE. I also think this is hilarious (am I really lowering myself in everyone's opinion here?), again, in a silly way.....one of the main characters is based on the editor of VOGUE.

I will keep thinking!

Meghan McCarthy said...

Thanks Libby!