Friday, April 27, 2012

Things to Do If You Are a Book: An Original Poem




I was determined to post today at Blue Rose Girls early this Friday. Unfortunately, I was involved in an auto accident this morning. That kept me from posting until now. Here’s a picture of the damage done to my car.


And here's the story of the accident: I was the second car in line at the drive-up window at the bank where we do business. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the car in front of me BACKING UP! I honked my horn--but too late. The driver of the car crashed into me and broke my passenger-side headlight. So it goes.

 ********************

I decided NOT to write a car crash poem for the occasion. Instead, I have an original "things to do" poem that I also posted at Wild Rose Reader today:

THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE A BOOK

Be filled with words that tell a tale
of a little mouse and a giant whale
of a runty pig and his spider friend
who was true and loyal to the end
of a badger who loved eating bread and jam
of a funky guy, green eggs, and ham
of a spunky girl named Ramona Q.
of a boy and the Jabberwock he slew.
Be filled with words and tell a tale
that will let my imagination sail.
Be a mystery
or a fantasy
or sing with sounds of poetry.
Between your covers
let there be
a story that’s just right for me.

 ********************

Win a Poetry Book!
I should have announced weeks ago that I’m giving away a poetry book each week during National Poetry Month at Wild Rose Reader. If you’d like to have your name entered into the drawing for this week’s book—Requiem: Poems of the Terezin Ghetto by Paul B. Janeczko—leave a comment at one of my poetry posts during the fourth week of National Poetry Month (April 22-28).




Here are links to this week's poetry posts at Wild Rose Reader:

Coelacanth Speaks...December 1938: AnOriginal Animal Mask Poem

Things to Do If You Are a Book: AnOriginal Poem


3 comments:

Even in Australia said...

I LOVE this poem.

Anna Alter said...

Great poem! And glad you are ok after the accident.

Tina Cho said...

In an accident, and still able to write a wonderful poem? You're awesome! I enjoyed your poem!