Thursday, October 25, 2012

Questions about the editing process


     



As an author who submits to editors and a professional editor myself, I have questions for people on both sides of the editing process.

My first question is mainly  for editors but thoughts from others aare more than welcome: what do you do when you write an editorial letter and the author argues and refuses to make the changes?

Not that editors are always right, and I don't claim to be!

Authors: what do you do when an editor makes a suggestion that is just plain wrong? And what happens? How do you work it out?

And what do you do when an editor, instead of suggesting, just goes ahead and writes new material? (This happened to me recently with a publisher when *I* was the author and I will leave how furious and frustrated I was to your imaginations.)

2 comments:

Paula said...

Wow, I can't even imagine how frustrating that must be! Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions because this hasn't been my experience but I hope you're able to straighten things out with the editor very soon!

Libby Koponen said...

Thanks, Paula! Sadly, they were not willing to change what they had added and rewritten.